Occupational therapists (OT’s) are increasingly becoming an integral part of occupational health teams to support the health and wellbeing of staff across both the public and private sector. OT’s may be employed within occupational health teams or, as with Rehab Jigsaw, contracted in for ad-hoc support. We can also be contracted directly on an ad-hoc basis with small and medium sized businesses. OT’s can help businesses and employers to help to close the disability employment gap. Occupational therapists working in occupational health support the recruitment and retention of people with a wide range of health conditions and disabilities.
Occupational therapists use a rehabilitative, bio-psycho-social approach with a focus on activity and the barriers to engagement in activity, or “occupation”. We use a practical, problem solving approach, utilising graded activity as part of workplace adjustments. We can also deliver staff wellbeing interventions and support organisations to improve staff satisfaction and sickness absence levels.
Rehab Jigsaw’s Occupational Therapy in Occupational Health assessments can help where a member of staff has:
• Had several episodes of short-term absences.
• Long term or continuous sickness absence i.e. longer than 4 weeks.
• Possible work-related health problems or that existing health problems are increasing as a result of work duties.
• An underlying health difficulty affecting performance.
• Difficulties returning to work following a serious illness or due to disability.
Our Occupational Therapists undertake functionally based assessments. Following the assessment, Rehab Jigsaw will give you, the employer, a detailed report and, as appropriate, specific advice on your employees’:
• Fitness for work: where the person has a health problem affecting their capability to manage essential job demands.
• Return to work: if the person is currently absent, when they are likely to be ready to return and whether adjustments are required and if so, what type.
• Rehabilitation advice: steps you can take that may enable the person to return to work before full recovery.
• Future attendance: how much absence you can expect in the future as a result of health problems.
• Future performance: to determine whether the person will be fit to undertake all duties upon recovery.
Staff sickness absence requires timely, effective management by experienced and skilled professionals. Rehab Jigsaw’s Occupational Therapists are dual trained in physical and psychological health difficulties. Our nationwide team of Occupational Therapists are all HCPC registered and have many years of experience in the healthcare industry. We work extensively in occupational health and undertake assessments throughout the UK.
We will undertake either a telephone, remote or face to face assessment, following which you will receive a report to enable you to understand the difficulties experienced by the employee, advice on reasonable adjustments and specific information to enable you to deal with any problems in a fair, consistent manner, balancing the needs of the employee with their job demands. Telephone/remote assessments provide screening information from which we can provide initial advice and recommendations. Our more detailed face-to-face or remote assessments are undertaken either in the workplace or at the employee’s home.
At assessment, the employee, will be assessed in regard to their health and the effects of any health problems on their work and home life. They will also be asked about other issues that may affect their functional abilities and for information about any treatment that they have received. Standardised assessments and screening tools may be utilised by the Occupational Therapist and information on the persons job role will be required to enable recommendations to be tailored to the person and their work role. In some instances, it may be necessary to request medical information from the person’s GP.
Rehab Jigsaw provides the following services:
• Sickness absence management support
• Return to Work Planning
• Ergonomics Workplace Assessments (including DSE)
• Job demands analysis and advice on reasonable modifications to sustain work
• Advice on employees’ rehabilitation requirements
• Functional Capacity Evaluations
• Advice to employers to meet their obligations under the Equality Act 2010
• Health management advice
• Effective communication and reporting to facilitate return to work.
We are also able to complete an Allied Health Profession “Health and Work” report.
Following a return to work, Rehab Jigsaw’s Occupational Therapists may also review the person after a period of time to assess their progress and to provide further recommendations and advice to facilitate a sustainable return to work or to full duties.
Rehab Jigsaw’s support can make a real difference to overcoming the effects of illness or disability, regardless of the cause, to enable employees undertake their everyday tasks and work roles.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.